Monday, March 5, 2012

Aaaah the joy of Cpap machines

A few years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during a sleep study. They connect you to dozens of wires and monitors and wrap devices around your head and chest and lay you in a bed with all eyes and eyes on you. "Just go to sleep and we will monitor you" I wonder if part of their training is to lay in that bed and endure this test. I think not because they would be far more compassionate if they had. Sleep is never a problems for me. My problem is not dying while I sleep. Thanks to Medicare I had gone a year without my Cpap machine which is a little machine that forces air into my mouth and nose as I sleep so I can not stop breathing. My recent sleep study results say I stopped breathing 70 times an hour. Sometimes I stopped for as long as 58 seconds...near unconsciousness...nice! My disease has achieved what MJ paid millions a year for...and for free, not strings attached. Without my machine I could sleep for ten hours and still feel like I had not slept in days. My body was never allowed to heal and replenish itself which is one of the goals of a body to sleep. I even had a TIA in my sleep once...slept right through it. Guess my heart and brain were tired of dealing with apnea that night. i woke up with a half drooped face which, within hours ran down my entire right side. Walkers and bed pans are not fun. Anyway, I finally got my Cpap a few days ago and not only a Cpap, but a state of the art Cpap! One that actually works. I am having to re-adjust my sleep habits and get used to having a face mask on at night again. The mask does not bother me at all except for a few places where it cuts into my skin but I figure my skin will once again toughen up in those spots. I mean is there really a choice not to wear it?  Few little cuts vs death. Pretty clear cut choice to me! The nightmares have not started yet but I am sure they will. The first time I had a Cpap every night for three months I could look forward to having nightmares all related to be suffocated..I drowned, people smothered me with things, my sister wrapped a belt around my throat one night.........Thank God, lots of prayers a nd a little Trazadone helped that! I am grateful for this expensive little machine that has been designed to look like a bedisde alarm radio....people are obviously not going to notice the 4 foot tube and face mask connected! If it were a 300 ound wall device....I would still want it. It is nice to breathe and wake up refreshed, ready to tackle the rest of the problems Acro has for me.

*********Not my best pic ever but these posts are designed for real life, no editing, no photoshopping! This is my wonderful Cpap mask. I have to use the full face mask because I can not breathe through my nose and my jaw growth and tongue prevents my mouth from closing
My newest C-pap mask. the other mask was leaving blood blisters in my mouth because my jaw can not close all the way. The skin was being pushed in between my teeth by the pressure. Also was losing too much air because of the deformities in my facial features.

4 comments:

  1. CPAP Machines provides you comfort and easy breath during sleep..Thanks for sharing information....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates of this machine.best sleep apnea machine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here...
    cpap machines tulsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my much needed Cpap. This was written 6 years ago. The machine and masks are better now than before but there are still many things I would love to have changed with my nightly Cpap experience!

    ReplyDelete